They also contain copper, B-complex vitamins, calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron.
Their nutritional value contributes to:
1. Cholesterol Reduction: Because of their high concentration in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, the frequent consumption of almonds increases good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol levels.
2. Regulation of diabetes: The healthy fats of the almonds, the vitamins, natural fibers and minerals help the regulation of the absorption and processing of glycose in the blood. For the preservation of the blood sugar in normal levels, you can eat a handful of almonds before every big meal.
3. Protection of the heart. Almonds are rich in magnesium and potassium which contribute to the reduction of blood sugar levels. The consumption of a small quantity of unsalted nuts can have a beneficial effect in the regulation of high blood pressure. Almonds also contain high levels of monounsaturated fats which are healthy for the heart.
4. Enhancement of the brain activity: Vitamin E, which is contained in almonds, contributes to the brain’s alertness and maintains the function of the memory in good levels. Moreover, the high levels of zinc protect the brain from the harmful effects of free radicals.
5. Weight loss: The density of nutrients in almonds (natural fibers, proteins and monounsaturated fats) causes the feeling of satiety and satisfaction in a short period of time and as a result less gluttony tendencies manifest themselves.
6. Embryo protection: Folic acid which is contained in almonds, helps the development of the embryo as it plays an important role in the normal development of the cells and the creation of the tissues of the newborn.
7. Fight against constipation: Almonds are rich in natural fibers which help the proper functioning of the intestines by protecting from constipation and other intestine problems.
8. Strengthening of the bones: The rich quantities in phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, manganese and potassium make almonds an important food for the density and strength of the bones by preventing osteoporosis.
9. Shiny skin and health of the hair: Almonds contain high levels of Vitamin E, which is considered to be the «beauty» vitamin as it has rich anti-oxidant action and anti-ageing qualities. Vitamin E, in combination with other nutrients such as: biotin, manganese, zinc and fatty acids, nourish the skin and contribute to the health of the hair, while they also protect from dehydration.